Thursday, May 9, 2013

SOS

Ok so I feel like I need to blog about this for selfish reasons. Mostly because I don't want to forget.

We haven't been to the pediatrician yet for well visits (they're scheduled for late May) and kind of like the states you can't go to the doctor here without having your well visit first. So we have to go to SOS Medicin. I about had a heart attack/stroke when I had to call them for the first time for an appointment. We live in France. Everyone speaks French. No one speaks English.

So I dialed the number, a lady picked up and I read my script. Somewhere between nom/prenom I was lost but by a sheer act of God we had an appointment. Thankfully the office was less than a mile away so we walked there. I opened the door to the office and saw 5 chairs, white walls, white tile floors and a white ceiling. No receptionist. One or 2 small posters on the wall and that's it. I was a little concerned. A few minutes later a man opened a door, said Lily's name and we walked in to the office/exam room. It smelled like he had just finished smoking an entire pack of cigarettes. There was an exam table, a desk and 2 chairs. I was sweating. He asked me a few simple questions, I answered them with some French and some sign language. Lily had an ear infection. Her first. He wrote a prescription for about 5 different things, I handed him my credit card, paid and left.

We've been back and forth to that SOS several times since then and even had them come to the house once. I still sweat every time I have to call and make an appointment but it's getting easier and a little more normal.

Something interesting...
You mix your own antibiotics here. Meaning you add the water when you get home. They give you the powder in a bottle. The medicine dispensers are really strange looking. I'm sure I will get used to them. AND you measure out medicine according to kg, not teaspoons...

No comments:

Post a Comment